Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mr. President

I received an email from the president today asking for money. Here is my response:

Mr. President

I would like to contribute, but I like to eat and keep a roof over my head. I'd like to keep my small business but I'm not sure I can do that either. I know that you inherited this mess and the opposition party (I call them that because that's all they know how to do, oppose everything) is not making it easy, but it is your job to lead on all the problems, to provide solutions or to back the people who can.
BTW why do I need to donate money that I don't have to help you do the job that you get paid for? And for which I voted for you. And donated to help you get elected. And spent time helping to insure that people voted. I thought about 1100-1200 people work in the WH. I imagine most of them have other job priorities but isn't this one of the most important things you can do in your time as president?
So.
Health care. What we have now is so backwards in providing care that the only way to fix it is to start over. I have a saying that is of course over the top, but when I have a complete mess and the only way to fix it is to - nuke it. Take the situation back to zero and start over. So I "nuke" my office every so often. That's the concept that we need in health care. "Nuke it" and start over from scratch. Single payer, universal health care for all citizens. Roll Medicare, all the state programs into one, single payer system, like the Canadian or almost any of the European/Australian systems. Take health care away from business, both in the purchasing and supplying.
So here's what I say .... Screw the insurance companies. They've had years/decades to make this better. But they went the other way. It is now time for all the citizens of this country to join the 21st century and have actual health care.
And in case you are wondering, no I don't have, nor can I afford health insurance. I am a few years away from Medicare, which has anyway been limited by congress at the request of the insurance industry so that they can sell supplemental policies. Once again screw the insurance companies. They've made their billions at our expense.

It was our turn. We spoke out, very loud. We donated. We trusted and continue to trust that you will do your job. But it is now your turn.
Thank You.
Ruckus

No comments: